Thursday, April 18, 2013

This Week's Coffee Chat




This past Monday, April 15th 2013, 2 explosions rocked the finish line at the Boston Marathon killing three and injuring hundreds of people.  This violent event is just one of many that has occurred in my lifetime, and again, has left me reflecting on life. It’s moments like this that bring so much emotion even though it did not affect me directly. But I can’t help but feel sad, angry and questioning why somebody would do such a thing. I often sit and wonder what these innocent lives did to deserve this...They didn’t.

As people gathered around a 26.2  mile course to witness enduring runners complete a challenge like no other, spectators, tourist, and helpers joined together to celebrate these runners. If there is one thing that resonates with a marathon it would be unity. More than 27,000 people run each year at the Boston Marathon with multiple different countries joining together to create a sense of peace. Now, I have never ran a marathon nor have I been to one, but my husband,  and many of my friends, coworkers, and peers have and they all seem to have a uniform censuses on what a marathon encompasses. Integrity, endurance, and unity are just a few adjectives that can be used to describe these people’s experiences with a marathon. Not only from a runner’s standpoint but also everyone involved. It’s a celebration. Whether you are celebrating crossing the finish line or a close one’s accomplishment, or even completing a community service project because you spent the day handing out water or supporting the runners, it is a rewarding experience for many. The other unique part for a marathon, no one is required a ticket for entry. These thousands of people show up to show their support for people they may not know. Including those so eagerly waiting at the finish line. For most people it is a day free from problems and a day to relish in harmony, union and celebration; a day of joy and achievement. No one loses as each person participating gains some sort of personal accomplishment.

When someone suddenly interrupts that joy it becomes absolutely senseless. My heart broke  all the way from Iowa, along with the rest of the world watching the news. It was an attempt at destroying a recreation we so freely join in many times a year all across our country. Never giving it a second thought that something like this could happen at such a joyous occasion. Innocent bystanders taken from us far too early for no reason at all.

I have always been someone who strives to a better person every day, but this feeling has not resonated with me as much as it did on Monday. Maybe it’s because I’m a little older now and I have a whole different perspective on life. Or maybe it’s because so many sacrificed themselves to help others. Whatever it may be I want to continue my life finding the good in the world and sharing my helping hand to others. Whether it be finding one charitable cause a month or just sharing a smile with a stranger on the street, no good deed is too small or goes unnoticed. Don’t sweat the small stuff and enjoy each moment, because that’s what matters the most in life. And I hope we unite as a country and make the next major marathon a celebration of joy and triumph.
With that said, I continually believe that for every one bad person there are hundreds of good people filling our Earth. We will never be able to get rid those who choose to bring evil to our life, but we can continue to reach out to those who bring joy to our life. If don’t we let the bad win. In the wake of these tragic events, I can only hope we can stand up to these challenges and be become better people because of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment